We Austin dancers often feel like the biggest attraction we have to offer visitors to our scene is Austin itself, and this year we decided we wanted to do our best to share the awesomeness of our hometown with all of you! With that in mind, we’ve put together what we’re calling our “Dance-only experience!” Have you ever gone to an event and really wished you’d gotten to see something outside the dance studio/club itself? If so, the Dance-only experience is built for you!
We're keeping things simple once again this year, with two officially sponsored activities...
Saturday: Gaming Meetup with Stephen Jackson
Location: Vigilante Gaming Bar at 7010 Easy Wind Drive, Ste 150
The cross section of dancers that love to game is huge and we can't think of a better way to sit down and get to know your favorite dancers than over a board game. Join Stephen Jackson and others over games of wit, skill, stories, strategy, and humor as part of our Dance Only Experience. You'll be able to come to the dance later in the evening energised and with a few new friends.
Sunday: Sinner's Brunch
Location: Jo's Coffee Shop at 1300 South Congress
Jo's Coffee Shop is an Austin music, food, and cultural staple. Serving Breakfast tacos and coffee-drinks to a standing-room only line outside their scenic South Congress location, Jo's has been an Austin landmark for ages. We'll be there for their Sunday afternoon house band session, made from some of Austin's finest musicians each week. Come out and relax, enjoy the music, and dance if the spirit moves you. Hosted by the one and only Marsha Mitchell.
Additional Recommended Activities
- Cathedral of Junk [explore Austin, photo opportunities, small suggested donation, all ages] http://www.yelp.com/biz/cathedral-of-junk-austin
- Barton Springs [swimming, outdoors, all ages, $3-4 cover] http://austintexas.gov/department/barton-springs-pool
- Maverick Horseback Riding [trail riding, outdoors, explore Austin] http://maverickhorsebackriding.com/
- Hamilton Pool Preserve [outdoors, swimming, explore Austin] https://parks.traviscountytx.gov/find-a-park/hamilton-pool
- See the bats [outdoors, explore Austin] http://austin.about.com/od/austinattractions/p/Bats_in_Austin.htm
- Tubing in San Marcos [outdoors, explore Texas] http://www.donsfishcamp.com/
- Stand up paddleboard [outdoors, explore Austin]
- Country Dance Outing
- See a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse [movies] http://drafthouse.com/austin
- Catch a live blues show
- Shop for records
- Eat BBQ
- South Austin Museum of Pop Culture [art, museum, explore austin] http://southaustincenter.org/
- Acro Yoga http://www.austinacroyoga.com/
- Have a glass of wine http://365thingsaustin.com/2014/02/18/best-places-to-drink-wine-in-austin-texas/
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center [outdoors, gardens, explore Austin] http://www.wildflower.org/
- Thriftshopping [explore Austin, shopping] http://www.vintagearoundtownguide.com/
- Umlauf Sculpture Garden and Museum [museum, gardens, outdoors, photo opportunities] http://umlaufsculpture.org/
- Zilker Botanical Garden [gardens, outdoors, photo opportunities, $2-3 cover] http://www.zilkergarden.org/
- Kayaking [explore Austin, outdoors]
- Enjoy breakfast or brunch around town: http://www.austinmonthly.com/AM/February-2013/Top-of-the-Morning/